un peu de lecture
1. The 76th Reserve Division (inchided in the 38th Reserve Corps with the 75th
Reserve Division), formed in January, 1915, grows out of three field battalions (Feld
bataillone), Nos. 55-57 of the 11th Corps District, and out of six field battalions, Nos.
67-72 oj the 18th Corps District. It was sent toward Russia at the beginning of
2. On February 13 it was identified in the region of Gumbinnen. It was really
part of the group which operated in the region of Wylkowyszki-Mariampol.
3. On March 2 it was on the Sopotzkyn-Chtabin front.
4. In March it was northeast of Prasnysz.
5. In April it was in the region of Suwalki-Augustowo.
6. In May it was north of Suwalki.
7. On June 23 the 76th Reserve Di\-ision went to the Dubissa area.
8. On June 30, region of Eydtkuhnen.
9. The summer offensive of 1915 brought it, through the region of Vilia, to Kovno
Aug. 16) and then to the south of Smorgoni (Oct. 6-10).
It was withdrawn from the front about October 15 and was at Vilna on November 1
and in the region of Mitau on December 5.
1. Then moved toward the north, the 76th Reserve Division took up a sector on
the Dvina, opposite Uxkull (Jan.-Aug., 1916).
2. From the 10th to the 20th of September the division was moved to the Roumanian
3. In October it took part in the battles in the regions of Hermannstadtand Bras^o
4. At the end of October or beginning of November it occupied the vicinity of
Campolung. At the end of December, to the south of Rimnicu-Sarat.
1. With the stabilization of the Roumanian front, it was in line to the north and cast
to Focsani, where it remained from January to April, 1917.
2. In May it was in reserve. At about this time it seems to have been brought to
the rear of the French front.
3. The division reappeared in Roumania, in the vicinity of Focsani, from August
6 to 14. It attacked on the 15th and suffered hea\y losses.
4. Put in reserve, near Focsani, it went back into line at the l)cginningof October
to the north of Iresti. It was still in that region at the beginning of Januajy, 1918.
The 252d Regiment in Thuringe, 253d Regiment in Hesse-Nassau, and 254th Regiment
in the Grand Duchy of Hesse. These last two regiments may be termed
The 76th Reserve Division was at all tunes used on the eastern front,